The standard Archives widget doesn’t accept a lot of parameters. You can just specify
- a title,
- if you want to display posts count or not.
With the EG-Archives widget, you can choose
- the title,
- the format of the list (simple or dropdown list),
- the type: Yearly, Monthly, …
- category, to display archives for only specific categories,
- Number of columns (1 or 2)
A specific type is added: the “mixed Yearly/monthly” type. With this type, you can display list of archives in yearly mode before a specified year, and in monthly mode after this specified date. This type allows to shorten list, and is very useful if you don’t publish too many posts per year. Example:
- August 2011
- April 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
The plugin comes up with 4 translations. Thanks to the following people for their contributions:
- French (FR)
- German (DE) – Frank W. Hempel
- Bulgarian (BG) – Web Geek, Dimitar Kolevski
- Russian (RU) – FatCow
EG-Archives adds a widget, and a template tag.
- Go to the Appearence / Widgets menu,
- Active the widget named: EG-Archives,
- Configure it, through the widget menu.
You can display the archives list, anywhere in your templates, with the function:
<?php eg_get_archives('arguments'); ?>
Arguments are the same than the standard WordPress function
- type (string) The type of archive list to display. Valid values: yearly, monthly, daily, weekly, postbypost. Default is monthly,
- limit (integer) Number of archives to get. Default is no limit,
- format (string) Format for the archive list. Valid values:
- html – In HTML list (
- ) tags and before and after strings. This is the default,
- option – In select () or dropdown option () tags,
- link – Within link () tags,
- custom – Custom list using the before and after strings.
- before (string) Text to place before the link when using the html or custom for format option. There is no default,
- after (string) Text to place after the link when using the html or custom for format option. There is no default,
- show_post_count (boolean) Display number of posts in an archive (1 – true) or do not (0 – false). For use with all type except ‘postbypost’. Defaults to 0,
echo (boolean) Display the output (1 – true) or return it (0 – false). Defaults to 1.
eg_get_archives accept an additional arguments:
pivot (integer) The “pivot” year. Before the pivot, archives are listed i yearly mode, after archives are listed in monthly mode. Default: current year (currently 2009)
- columns (integer) Number of columns to display list. Possible values are 1 or 2. Default is 1.
This plugin is released under the GPL, you can use it free of charge on your personal or commercial blog.
The plugin comes with French and English translations, please refer to the WordPress Codex for more information about activating the translation. If you want to help to translate the plugin to your language, please have a look at the eg_series.pot file which contains all defintions and may be used with a gettext editor like Poedit (Windows).